There are fewer places more important to keep organized, tidy and functional than the kitchen. Drawers, counters, cabinets, there are so many areas that can go from serving you, to serving you a headache! So, let’s take your kitchen from frantic to functional.
We’ve all been there. The counters are cluttered with car keys, kid’s lunchboxes, strewn mail, in addition to the always cluttered drawers and cabinets… all causing you to feel so overwhelmed, that you become forced to decide to order in instead of cooking a home-cooked meal.
You are not alone!
The kitchen, for many, is the control center, the nucleus of the house. Usually, it’s where the family calendars are kept, the checklists and the to do lists that hang on the fridge. The kitchen is grand central station for most of us, so let’s take your kitchen from frantic to functional!
At An Organized Home OC, we pride ourselves on our ability to take your kitchen from frantic to functional. Take a look at our tips below:
- Our first step is: You guessed it- declutter! Get your trash bag, your donate bag, and your can-do attitude. Let’s go through it, drawer by drawer and tackle the counter, inch by inch.
Let go of any items that:
- Have not been used in a long time.
- Are broken or warped.
- Are a duplicate (Yes, even if Aunt Doris got you that spatula for your wedding!)
- Isn’t part of a set (Think souvenir cups from theme parks, baseball games, random gifted shot glasses, and random holiday mugs. This is a hard one for some, but we believe in you!
Try to think practically and pair it all down. Don’t keep needless items. These become the things that add up and can take valuable kitchen real estate, as well as overwhelm an already busy area of the house.
We urge you to give yourself that space back. You can do it!
- Our second step: Put it back together! When putting your kitchen back together, rethink the layout, if necessary. Location, location, location! We at An Organized Home OC love to rearrange cabinets and drawers in ways that make the most sense for our clients, in order to serve them best.
Things we love for kitchen organization:
- We adore acrylic drawer organizers. Nothing hurts more than rifling through a drawer for a measuring spoon and poking your finger with a corn cob holder! These drawer organizers will take your kitchen from frantic to functional..
- Our hearts beat for Tupperware lid organizers. Nothing beats avoiding that all familiar avalanche when reaching for a Tupperware lid. We also use these lid organizers for the pot and pan lids, and even for backing sheets and wire cooling racks.
- Drawer dividers are also a kitchen must-have, Drawer dividers help separate knives from slotted spoons, or straws from spatulas, and create a clean look. They also create a visual reminder for family members that items need to be put back in a specific area.
- Under sink organizer drawer shelves are time savers. We love taking under the sink items and not only arranging them to make more space, but also to help you see where those items are and prevent having to buy products you already have.
- Our third step: Come up with a game plan to keep things functional and organized!
- Set aside a day of the month to keep the kitchen maintained. We all know the effect a teenager (and let’s face it, a husband) can have on a tidy kitchen! Take a few minutes every once in a while and keep those drawers and cabinets maintained.
- Be careful of what you allow in your kitchen. You worked hard taking your kitchen from frantic to functional!
- Crowding any of the obvious visual spots can add overwhelm to anyone’s brain. Rethink what spots you use for daily items in order to achieve a more peaceful kitchen, and find an easy place that is concealed to reduce visual clutter.
As always, we are ready to help you tackle your kitchen- or any other room for that matter!
Give Lisa a call at (714) 618-3744 or fill out our contact form and we will get back to you promptly.
We can’t wait to help you eliminate the frantic, and make your kitchen a functional dreamland!